These juicy and delicious homemade burgers are perfect on the grill or stovetop on a griddle or skillet. This is my all-time favorite grilled cheese burger recipe and the easiest all-purpose recipe for the perfect burger patty every time!
The grilled cheese burger recipe is very easy to make, as long as you master the marinating and making methods of the patty, you can successfully make a delicious cheese burger!
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST GRILLED BURGERS
Season your burger. If you have good ground beef, you don’t need much other than some salt and pepper.
Do not overmix the ground beef. It will create a tougher and less tender burger. Once the patties are formed, you can keep them refrigerated while preheating the grill so they hold their shape.
Adding a slight indent to the center portion of each burger patty will keep it from puffing up too much during grilling. Use a spoon or finger to add an indent in the middle.
The perfect burger has to be juicy. The patty itself should be charred on the outside to lock in all the goodness.
GRILLED CHEESE BURGER RECIPE – Ingredients
- 2 pounds (32 ounces) 80/20 ground beef, cold
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and finely minced
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce or A-1 sauce
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1½ teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 hamburger buns
- 6-12 slices of Selection Thick Cheddar Cheese Slices
- Tomatoes, sliced
- Red onions, sliced
- Pickles, sliced
- Ketchup, Mayo and Mustard or your favorite sauces
- In a medium bowl, mix all the burger ingredients together until well combined. Don’t over mix the meat.
- Divide meat into 6 equal portions and form each into a patty that is approx 4-inches wide across with 1-inch sides and create a shallow depression in the middle. Cover and chill until ready to grill.
- Preheat a grill to medium high. Lightly brush the grill grates with vegetable oil, then grill the patties, indentation-side up, until marked on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Flip and cook until marked and slightly firm, about 3 more minutes for medium doneness.
- Top with 1-2 slices cheese during the last minute of cooking; cover the grill
to melt. Remove patties from grill. Grill buns if desired then serve the patties
over the buns and top with your choice of toppings.
GRILLED CHEESE BURGER RECIPE – NOTES
- Can I make these burgers ahead of time and freeze them?
- Absolutely. You can freeze them after they’re baked or after they’re shaped.
- Frozen raw patties: Frozen raw and seasoned patties help keep their quality longer (when frozen) than cooked patties because moisture is lost during cooking. Place patties in a single layer on several plastic wrap-lined baking sheets; cover loosely with plastic wrap and freeze until meat is firm (1 to 2 hours). Wrap the patties tightly in thick foil or place in a freezer bag to freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator for cooking or freeze cooking.
- Freeze deli patties: Deli burgers freeze well and retain their full flavor for up to four months. It is important to wrap them carefully to prevent air from entering the packaging. Freeze them in individual freezer bags to eat individually, or place them in freezer bags or freezer-safe storage containers with airtight lids.
- How to Reheat Grilled Burgers:
- There are many ways to reheat your burger patty. You can reheat them in the microwave. You can also reheat in the oven at 400°F for 3-4 minutes on a baking sheet.