This Strawberry Shortcake Shortcake (also known as the Strawberry Shortcake Topping) is the perfect topping for ice cream, cakes, puddings and cheesecakes! It tastes like the coating on a strawberry shortcake ice cream stick. Plus, it’s made with just 3 ingredients and ready in just 5 minutes. Read on for this strawberry shortcake crumble topping recipe below!
These Strawberry Shortcake Crumbles have a rich, buttery flavor. Here’s a quick homemade crumbled strawberry recipe that will celebrate summer and is perfect for any special occasion. All you need is freeze-dried strawberries, golden Oreos and butter. It makes a crispy topping for cakes, ice cream and even yogurt! I will introduce this easy strawberry shortcake crumble topping recipe to everyone to learn!
What are strawberry shortcake crumbs made of?
- Freeze-dried strawberries: Freeze-dried strawberries are the secret ingredient in this recipe. They add so much strawberry flavor and a beautiful pink color, but they don’t add any moisture.
- Golden Oreos: Golden Oreos are the perfect cookie to make this crumb as they have both a cookie part and a creamy filling. If you don’t have golden Oreos (or can’t find them), you can try Nilla Wafers or Shortbread Cookies instead.
- Butter: I used salted butter, but whether you use salted or unsalted is entirely up to you. If you are using unsalted, you may need to add a pinch of fine sea salt to the food processor.
How to Make Strawberry Shortcake Toppings
Start by adding freeze-dried strawberries and golden Oreos to a food processor. Add the melted butter and stir until combined.
Spread the strawberry crisp filling on a rimmed baking sheet until you are ready to use it. This step is helpful if you plan to use it to decorate cakes or cupcakes, but feel free to skip this step if you’re just going to sprinkle it on scoops of ice cream.
What are strawberry shortcake crumbs for?
My favorite way to serve it is sprinkled on top of ice cream, or pressed into cream cheese frosting or buttercream frosting on a birthday cake.
Can I make it into vegan strawberry shortcake crumbles?
Yes, these Strawberry Shortcake Crumbles can be turned into a vegan option. You just need to swap out the butter in this recipe as the Golden Oreos are considered vegan. Replacing vegan butter will change the recipe and be good for those with a sweet tooth but are vegan.
What kind of equipment do you need to make strawberry shortcake?
For this super delicious crunchy topping, you need crushed Oreos. This can be done with a food processor. Another option is to use a freezer ziplock bag and hit it with a rolling pin to crush the ingredients.
Strawberry Shortcake Crumble Topping Recipe – Storage
The best part about these strawberry crumbles is that they are easy to store. It will stay fresh whether you want to keep it in the freezer or refrigerator.
- Refrigerator Instructions – Place crumbs in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about four days. If you want the same level of crispiness, reheat the topping in the oven.
- Freezing Instructions – Place the crumbs in an airtight container and freeze for up to a month. You will need to thaw a day’s worth of crumbs in the refrigerator before serving.