The veg cutlet recipe is a crisp, savory, tender meatloaf made with a hearty blend of vegetables, savory spices, fresh herbs, and crisp breadcrumbs. Schnitzel recipes are a popular snack in Indian cuisine and there are many ways to make them. These vegan vegetable schnitzels are fried to keep them healthy, but you can deep fry or shallow fry them, depending on your preference.
My recommended veg cutlet recipe is vegetarian cutlet, suitable for vegetarians and vegans. Veggie schnitzels are vegetarian meatloaf. It consists of a mix of various steamed vegetables such as carrots, potatoes, peas, cauliflower, broccoli, corn and more.
How to Make Veg Cutlet
Cooking mixed vegetables
1. Wash, peel and chop 1 carrot and 2 potatoes. Also, rinse and chop 7 to 8 French beans. Rinse 1/2 cup green peas. Remember to cut the vegetables into small pieces so they cook faster.
In cup measurements, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped potatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped French beans
- 1/2 cup green peas
Add these chopped veggies to a skillet or steamer. Sprinkle 2 pinch of salt over the chopped vegetables.
2. Now you can choose to cook your vegetables in a skillet, stovetop pressure cooker or Instant Pot.
No matter which method you choose to cook your vegetables, remember to drain all the water from the cooked vegetables.
3. Now place the pan/steamer and vegetables on the tripod in the Instant Pot.
Seal the cap and position the valve in the sealing position. Cook on high pressure for 10 to 15 minutes. I live in a high-altitude area so it takes more time to cook.
4. After cooking is complete, wait 5 minutes after hearing the beep. Carefully lift and release the pressure valve. open the lid.
5. When heating the vegetables with a potato masher. Make sure the vegetables are drained before mashing.
6. In this schnitzel recipe, I used panko breadcrumbs for a crispy texture. Regular breadcrumbs are also great.
7. In another small bowl, take 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour and 3 to 4 tablespoons of water.
8. Whisk and blend the mixture to get a smooth paste without any lumps.
9. Crush 2 medium garlic cloves, 1 green chili pepper and 1-inch of ginger in a mortar and pestle.
10. Add the following ingredients to the mashed vegetables:
- Minced Ginger + Minced Garlic + Green Chili Sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika or cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (cumin powder)
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder (coriander powder) – optional
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro or parsley
- salt to season as needed,
- Grated spices and cilantro on top of mashed vegetables
11. Add 3 to 4 tablespoons of breadcrumbs.
12. Mix everything well to make the schnitzel mix dough. Check the taste and add more salt or ground spice powder if needed.
13. Take part of the schnitzel dough mixture and knead it into a patty.
14. Take a schnitzel and lightly dip it in the all-purpose flour batter. Spread the batter evenly over the steak.
15. Then place the schnitzel in the breadcrumbs.
16. Heat 2 to 3 tablespoons of oil and place in a frying pan or frying pan for shallow frying.
17. Fry on medium heat. When one side is light golden or golden, flip it gently with a spatula and fry the second side. If needed, add more oil while frying.
18. Serve the fried vegetable chops hot with mint chutney or cilantro chutney or tamarind chutney or mayonnaise or any dipping sauce of your choice.