This easy vegan version may be dairy- and egg-free, but it doesn’t skimp on flavor or texture. The dreamy salted caramel sauce coats the coconut custard perfectly. The results of it? A cheesecake-like coconut custard topped with a rich salted caramel sauce. With just 7 ingredients, you can learn this vegan flan recipe.
What is Fran?
Flan (also known as Cream Caramel) is a creamy custard dessert topped with a thin layer of caramel sauce. Although it is popular in many regions around the world, flan is believed to have originated in ancient Rome first and is especially popular in Latin America.
Vegan flan recipe — what do you need?
Here are the ingredients needed for this recipe:
- Raw cashews – You can find raw cashews at health food stores or online.
- Plant-Based Milk – Use your favorite plant-based milk, such as soy, almond, or cashew milk. Use vegan eggnog to make it a seasonal holiday pie.
- Coconut Sugar – Use coconut sugar or replace brown sugar.
- Agar tablets – You can find agar tablets at health food stores or online.
- Nutritional Yeast Chips – We’ll add a little flavor with these yeast chips.
- Nutmeg Powder
How to Make Vegan Fran
- Place soaked cashews in a food processor or high-speed blender. Pulse for a few seconds. Add the plant-based milk and whisk until smooth.
- Add brown sugar, agar flakes, nutritional yeast flakes, and nutmeg. Pulse for a second or two to combine.
- Pour it into a medium saucepan over medium heat. boiled. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Remove from fire. Stir in the rum. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes to cool slightly.
- The caramel topping is made by combining the ingredients in a separate pan, bringing it to a boil and boiling. Cook until sugar caramelizes and sauce thickens, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Pour it evenly into the bottoms of both tarts.
- Pour cooled flan mixture over caramel.
- Put in the refrigerator for at least an hour, preferably two hours.
- To serve, use a butter knife to cut along the sides of the pan. Invert it on a plate.
How to Soak Cashews
Slow Soak Cashews
- Place cashews in a glass bowl and cover with water.
- Refrigerate and soak for at least four hours or up to overnight.
- Drain the soaking liquid.
Quick Soak Cashews
- Put cashews in a pan for a quick soak.
- Cover them with water and put them on medium heat.
- Bring it to a boil (boil) and cook for about 10 minutes. Cashews will be plump.
- Remove from heat and let them cool.
- Drain the soaking liquid.
Is Fran a vegetarian?
The classic flan recipe is not vegan as it is usually made with cream and eggs. However, it is very easy to make flan vegan. In fact, I would venture to say that making a vegan flan recipe is actually easier than regular flan!
Do vegan flan taste like flan?
The big question, of course, is does the non-dairy flan taste like a regular pie dessert? Well, if the flan is creamy, rich, and flavored with nutmeg and caramel, then this vegan pie is spot on!