This lodge cast iron pizza recipe below creates the crispiest, most crispy crust over high heat, a relatively easy homemade pizza recipe, follow the recipe I give to ensure your pizza creation is flawless!
You can’t experience the joy of using a cast iron skillet to make pizza without trying it out of curiosity! I’m sure you’ll love this crispy pizza! This is something I make regularly for my family and every time I make it, it always impresses me. Hope everyone can learn this lodge cast iron pizza recipe!
The charm of cast iron skillets：
The crispy exterior of this lodge cast iron pizza recipe is achieved through high heat. And this high temperature can be achieved by using a pan or pot made of cast iron. It is highly recommended to use only cast iron in this recipe rather than an enamel-coated pan on the cooking surface. Using cast iron with an enamelled surface radiates less heat than straight cast iron.
How to make homemade pizza to be crispy?
You must preheat your cast iron skillet for this recipe to be successful. I recommend preheating the frying pan at 500F for at least 20-25 minutes before placing the dough in the pan. This will increase the heat in the oven, which will make the pizza cook faster and crisper.
Methods as below:
- Dough: Use a homemade dough recipe, store-bought dough, or dough purchased from your local pizzeria.
- Preheat the pan: Set the oven to 500F, and while the oven is preheating, place an empty cast iron pan in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Form the dough: While the pan is preheating, press the dough with your hands into an 8×8 or 10×10-inch circle.
- Carefully remove the hot frying pan from the oven and place it on an oven mat or mitt to protect the surface. Then, carefully grease the pan with paper towels. Be extra careful during this process as the pan will be very hot.
- To transfer the dough, you can either use your hands or roll the dough partially onto a rolling pin and spread it out onto the pan. Tip: Make sure both the dough and the roller are floured so the dough doesn’t stick together.
- Use your hands to carefully shape the dough into a circle to fit the pan. There is no need to form a “crust” – it will naturally rise on its own.
- Spoon a layer of sauce over the dough and spread it evenly.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 14-16 minutes (time may vary as all ovens are slightly different). The cheese should be bubbling and slightly browned, and the crust should be golden.
- Remove the skillet and carefully slide the pizza out of the pan (a spatula is helpful during this step).
What size cast iron pan do I need to use?
This size cast iron pan doesn’t matter, you can use whatever size you like.
My pizza crust is burnt, what’s wrong?
You’ve overcooked it on the stove, or the temperature is too high.