I m not a early riser,but my dad was a farmer,so he used to make breakfast every day,his exclusive cowboy breakfast skillet is really special and delicious.
Why named cowboy breakfast skillet?
I asked my dad why it is called ‘cowboy breakfast skillet’?He told me that cowboy was a work that requires a lot of physical labor,therefore, a large amount of protein is needed to supplement.And at the same time, in order to make it easy, all the ingredients are put into a skillet and cooked together, and gradually evolved into the well-known cowboy breakfast skillet, which usually includes bacon, potatoes, eggs, and cheese.
This breakfast skillet recipe itself is not particularly delicious, but it is ok, because the cheese masks the original marinated taste of the bacon, and the fragrance brought by the eggs.Generally,with the addition of potatoes, it tastes full of texture and tastes very layered.
Steps of Cowboy breakfast skillet recipe
Step 1 Tools preparation
1 skillet，size：6 inch for 1 serving,10 inch for 2 servings
1 Cassette grill，if out for camping
1 Brushed Stainless Steel Turner,13.5 inch
1 Turner,13.5 inch
A few dishes
Food scale（for learner)
Step 2 preparing Ingredients（1 serving)
Canola oil 15ml(1 tbsp)
Shredded hash brown potatoes 300g
Paprika 30g or chopped chili peppers
Low fat Cottage Cheese 300g
Bacon 300g (3 pieces)
Tips of Ingredients dosage
For learners, you can use a food scale to weigh the ingredients according to the above dosage guidelines, and put them in a bowl after weighing. Then in the next steps, you can just follow my instructions. For fluids, 1ml is approximately equal to 1g, for example, 120ml of canola oil is equivalent to 120g of canola oil.
Some chefs suggest that you use potatoes o’brien, which are hash brown potatoes with pepper and salt. In my recipe I use hash brown potatoes.
I also briefly introduce the method of making potatoes o’brien here:
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, add the butter
- Add chopped potatoes, onion and peppers. Sauté for 3-5 minutes to allow the flavors of the onions and peppers to come out.
- Add chicken stock, parsley, salt and pepper. Cook until the juice is collected and the potatoes are a little brown in color.
Therefore,we have some different methods on cooking Cowboy breakfast skillet.These recipes differ from the methods of preparing the ingredients and how we place the ingredients in the skillet.
For example,you can choose to use whisked eggs or relatively whole egg when boiling.You should reserve space for eggs if you use whole egg.But for whisked eggs no need,you can just mix eggs with other ingredients.As for taste,it would be much crispy or dry with whole eggs.
And how to prepare the bacon?
- After the bacon is put into the pot, fry it slowly over low heat. Don’t turn it over frequently.
- As the temperature rises, the fat will gradually melt and flow into the pot, making the bacon taste more refreshing.
- Fry it until both sides are golden brown.
- After frying the bacon, the remaining oil in the pan can also be used to fry vegetables, fry eggs, and fry toast, fully utilizing the delicious essence!In this case you’d better not use the oil,cause it would be too fat and affect the taste.
Thawed Shredded Potatoes
- Spread the frozen fries thin and place on a microwave-safe plate.
- Bake at 572°F for 30 seconds
- Turn off the microwave and drain the shredded potatoes (strainer or paper towels)
Tap water method
- Put the shredded potatoes in a colander.
- Cover the shredded potatoes with cold water, making sure all the shredded potatoes are covered
- Repeat this 3 times for 15 seconds each time
- Drain the shredded potatoes (strainer or paper towels)
Step 3 Start cooking
Medium heat,add canola oil to skillet.Make the oil temperature to 300℉.
Add the potatoes and sprinkle with salt and paprika, if you are using potatoes o’brien you don’t need to add the salt and paprika.
Add Low fat Cottage Cheese 300g, whisked eggs, bacon. If you are using whole eggs, you will need to leave a few spaces in the middle of the potato cubes to allow the eggs to cook easily.
Maintain at 320°F to allow the cheese to fully melt and blend in with the other ingredients. The liquid in Skillet gradually decreases, you can turn off the fire.
Time saving methods
To save time you can use many ready-made materials, such as:
- Shredded hash brown potatoes instead of making your own potatoes o’brien
- Paprika to replace chopped chili peppers
- Cooked bacon
Calories of Cowboy breakfast skillet recipe
Canola oil 15ml(1 tbsp)=120 calories
Shredded hash brown potatoes 300g=250 calories
Paprika 30g =70 calories
Low fat Cottage Cheese 300g =585 calories(Normal cheese about 900 calories)
Eggs 3=150 calories
Bacon 300g (3 pieces)=1500 calories
Above all,you can make it less bacon to low the calories and ad you choose the low fat cottage cheese which low 300 calories in this recipe.
Links to some tools you need:
- Cassette grill:https://amzn.to/3AUnttZ
- Brushed Stainless Steel Turner:https://amzn.to/3Bkil3L
Tips for cowboy breakfast skillet recipe
- Control the amount of egg liquid, just moderate, too much egg liquid will make the food loose.
- If it is found that the food is not fully cooked, do not adjust the fire to high heat, which will cause the food to burn quickly; you should use medium or low heat, and control the length of time according to your preference.
- If you make homemade potato fries, you should be careful not to cut too thickly, which will cause the potatoes to be undercooked.