Fried dough, Chinese doughnuts, or elephant ear food – you name it these delicious little discs. Have you ever eaten this type of food? If you want to make another classic fried dessert like this recipe, you must try this fried dough recipe next!
Fried dough recipe—ingredients
They’re the most common baking ingredients, so I’m almost sure you’ll have whatever you have on hand.
Here is what you need:
- 1¾ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- ⅔ cup milk
- Powdered sugar
- Oil frying
Fried dough recipe—making method
Step 1: Make the Dough
- First, we need to put all the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar into a large mixing bowl and mix them well.
- Then move the dough to a wooden board or flat surface and knead by hand for about 2 minutes; after kneading, let it rest for 10 minutes.
Step 2: Fry the Dough
- When the 10 minutes are up, divide your dough ball into 8 pieces and roll each piece until it’s about ⅜” an inch thick.
- Next, heat about 1 inch of oil in a saucepan over medium heat until it reaches 375°F (190°C).
- After the oil is heated, carefully place the rolled dough into the pan. (Remember to cook in batches) Then let your dough hook for 1 minute, then flip it over and cook 1 minute on the other side.
- Once cooked, transfer the fried dough to a plate or wire rack lined with paper towels and coat it with as much powdered sugar as you can!
- When all 8 pieces are deeply fried and coated with powdered sugar, enjoy!
FAQ For Fried Dough Recipe
Can this fried dough be stored?
While it’s best eaten right after frying, it’s okay to store any leftovers.
Just put leftovers in an airtight container and it will keep for up to 2 days at room temperature. Then to crisp it, you can place it in a 350°F (170°C) oven for a few minutes until warm.
Can I make vegan fried dough?
Certainly! It’s super easy to make this recipe vegan – all you have to do is replace vegan butter with butter and use plant milk!
What else can I put on this fried dough?
For the classic fried dough, you need to add the powdered sugar immediately after frying. But you can also mix cinnamon sugar on top to make cinnamon sugar fried dough and it will be delicious!
Does the dough have to be fried?
For the best results and experience, I definitely recommend frying the dough following the directions above. But if you don’t want to fry, you can also try making your fried dough in an air fryer.
First, spray the air fryer basket with baking spray and preheat to 350°F (180°C). Then place as much dough as possible so they lie flat – again, you have to cook in batches and don’t want to overcrowd. Cook for about 5 minutes, then flip and cook for another 5 minutes or until crisp.Learn more about interesting food recipe!