Many friends like to drink a glass or two by themselves once in a while, but often worry about a 750ml bottle of wine, what should I do if I can’t finish drinking it at once? For health reasons, it is not recommended that every time you open the bottle, you must drink it up in order not to waste it. So the question is-how long can a bottle of wine be kept after it is opened? How to extend the shelf life of red wine? How to identify whether unfinished red wine has deteriorated?
How long can the red wine be stored after opening the bottle
- It can be kept in the refrigerator for 1 week: if the wine is not consumed after opening the bottle, put the cork back, put the wine bottle upright, and keep it in the refrigerator for 1 week. A plastic bag can be added to the red wine bottle to prevent the odor in the refrigerator from affecting the flavor of the red wine. The refrigeration temperature in the refrigerator will affect the flavor of red wine to some extent.
- It can be stored for 1-3 days at room temperature: red wine with low alcohol content can be stored for 1 day at room temperature if it is plugged back into a cork, and red wine with high alcohol content can only be delayed for 3 days.
- The air exhaust method can be stored for 2-3 days: the use of vacuum pump to remove the air in the bottle, or the filling method with inert gas can prevent the red wine from oxidizing and deteriorating. Such red wine can be stored for 2-3 days, no more than 1 week.
Wine that has passed the shelf life can still be drunk
In fact, wine that has passed its shelf life can still be drunk. Foreigners’ wine trademarks do not indicate the expiration date, and there is no concept of expiration date. According to the understanding of the Chinese people, the wine within the shelf life should be clear, not turbid, not precipitated, and the taste effect should be the best.
Wines that have exceeded the shelf life may have turbidity and sedimentation, and the taste quality will decrease, but they can still be consumed. Red wines aged for many years, such as dry red wines made from Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc grapes, have been stored in new oak barrels for two years. The taste is very hard, bitter and astringent. It must be bottled for about 10 years or more. Store, the taste can become soft.
Unopened wine will not expire, only when it can reach its optimal drinking period. If the bottle has been opened, the red wine will gradually lose its aroma due to the oxidation reaction with the oxygen in the air, and finally become sour, which can only be discarded.
How to extend the shelf life of red wine
- Put the cork back in time after the wine is opened to prevent too much air from entering the bottle and maintain the quality of the wine;
- Use a vacuum pump to extract the air in the bottle. You can also put the unfinished red wine into a small bottle to ensure that there is no excess space left in the air, which is a more economical way.
- It is best to store the red wine at an oblique angle, which will not only help the dregs settle but also infiltrate the cork, make the bottle mouth tighter, and help maintain the quality of the red wine;
- Avoid direct sunlight as much as possible, so use brown bottles and store them in a cool and dry place.
How to identify whether unfinished red wine has deteriorated
Color: The red wine is not clear, the wine color is dull or there is snow on the surface of the red wine, it is the spoiled red wine;
Flavor: It is best not to drink red wine after it has peculiar smell, such as rotten apple or pungent acetic acid;
Taste: The taste of red wine is sour or bitter than before, which is a sign of deterioration.
Unfinished wine has different magical effects in different periods
1.Keep the original flavor for 1-3 days
After the wine is opened, if the preservation method is improper or the time is too long, an off-white bacterial film will appear on the surface of the wine. The unfinished wine should be covered with a stopper and placed in a low temperature place to reduce the contact surface between the wine and the oxygen. White wine can be stored for 3-5 days, and red grapes can be stored for about 7 days, with little change in quality. At low temperatures, bacterial growth will be greatly inhibited, and the solubility of oxygen in the air in the wine decreases, which slows down the oxidation rate of wine.
2.3-7 days to make red wine steak
After opening the bottle, the wine is stored for more than 3 days. Although it can still be used, the taste has changed and it is no longer the original taste. If you don’t want to waste it, you can try red wine steak. The combination of steak and red wine is the most suitable representative of the food. Israeli researchers have found that the diet of red meat with red wine is good for health. Red wine can prevent the accumulation of cholesterol in the blood after ingesting red or black meat and reduce the risk of arteriosclerosis or heart disease.
3.7-10 days red wine boiled kumquats
When the opened wine is stored for more than 7 days, it is no longer suitable for drinking, but it can be used as leftovers and combined with kumquats to form a nutritious snack. Eating two kumquats boiled in red wine every day is very beneficial for constipation and improving skin tone. Since Japanese actress Reiko Yamada recommended this good method, many Japanese women have followed suit. I also follow this method to eat two kumquats every morning. The constipation that has been troubled for many years has really improved. The skin has become smoother and smoother, and even the acne marks have become lighter.
Data show that both red wine and kumquats have strong antioxidant effects. Kumquats are rich in vitamin C. The antioxidant effect of red wine and vitamin C is 5 times that of vitamin C alone. Therefore, kumquat boiled in red wine can be said to be the best combination for relieving skin aging and improving skin quality.
- Make salad for more than half a month
When the wine is stored for more than half a month, it becomes vinegar. Wine is the only wine that contains alkaline substances, and it also contains various organic acids, which can enhance the body’s metabolism. When cooking dishes, adding a little wine can remove the stench of fish and meat. In addition, After the wine is opened, if it is stored for a long time, it will turn into vinegar, which has an aromatic flavor and is very delicious when used in salads. Or spread some wine on the cut of the ham, wrap it in the refrigerator, and keep the color and fragrance of the ham unchanged.